Guidelines for preparation
Please follow the guidelines below when preparing your items for the sale. Stained, damaged, or items in poor condition will be pulled from the floor at the discretion of sale organizers.
- Make sure all items are clean
- Check items for stains, tears, holes, odors, and pills.
- Do not include items with excessive wear, especially shoes that have been worn many times.
- For hanging items (see below on which to hang), make sure hanger is facing left (like a question mark).
- Accessories, like socks, tights, belts, and hats, or items in multiple (like onesies), should be placed in Ziploc bags. Clothing, however, does not sell well when displayed in bags.
- Shoes should be tied together (you can use the laces, string, or zip ties). Baby shoes, ballet slippers, or any other shoe that will not stay easily tied together may be sealed in Ziploc bags.
- Outfits with multiple pieces must be the same size and must be pinned together and should be on a hanger. Be sure to pin pants/skirts/bottoms to the hanger (on backside)
- Any merchandise with multiple pieces should be kept together. If necessary, place all of the items in a large, clear bag and list the pieces on the tag. If they cannot be contained together, please make sure to tag each piece as part of a set (1/3, 2/3, 3/3).
- Toys or items with small pieces, should be bagged for loss prevention.
- Toys requiring batteries should have batteries included; if they cannot be tested, they are less likely to sell.
Preparing to sell items as a set? Remember to pin the pieces together, or as with this scarf and hat set, perhaps place them together in a clear bag.
Tips to consider
- Consider bagging toys like Little People or Polly Pockets, rather than putting them in a sealed container or box. If you can see them, they are more appealing to buyers.
- Do you have the original packaging for an item? If so, use it!
- Warranties or manuals are a big bonus. Please include and tape to item if you have these.
- Make sure you have all hardware and tools for furniture that needs to be assembled. You will need to assemble it for display at the sale.
What should I hang?
Most items will be displayed on tables; it is often easier for buyers to sort through stacks than to maneuver through tightly squeezed racks. There are, however, certain pieces that really need to hang on a rack. If you have the following items to sell, please have them on hangers and tagged according to the instructions. Use wire hangers, as they are more durable and items are less likely to slide off. Most dry cleaners will GIVE you recycled hangers for free if you ask.
- Outfits with multiple pieces (for example tops & skirts, jumper with matching tights and accessories)
- Boys’ suits/holiday wear
Because of regulations by the Ohio Department of Commerce, we are unable to accept bedding, upholstered furniture, and stuffed toys. This includes mattresses, comforters, mattress pads, changing pads, cushions, pillows (bed pillows, throw pillows, pregnancy/nursing pillows, Boppies), mattress protectors, quilts, blankets, and sheets. These regulations do not apply to new items in packaging.
For further information, see: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/dico_Bedding2ndHandProcedures.pdf